Revised and updated with the latest information in the field, the Fifth Edition of best-selling Computer Science Illuminated continues to provide students with an engaging breadth-first overview of computer science principles and provides a solid foundation for those continuing their study in this dynamic and exciting discipline. Authored by two of today’s most respected computer science educators, Nell Dale and John Lewis, the text carefully unfolds the many layers of computing from a language-neutral perspective, beginning with the information layer, progressing through the hardware, programming, operating systems, application, and communication layers, and ending with a discussion on the limitations of computing. Separate program language chapters are available as bundle items for instructors who would like to explore a particular programming language with their students.
Ideal for introductory computing and computer science courses, the fifth edition’s thorough presentation of computing systems provides computer science majors with a solid foundation for further study, and offers non-majors a comprehensive and complete introduction to computing.
New Features of the Fifth Edition:
– A new chapter on computer security provides readers with the latest information on preventing unauthorized access; types of malware and anti-virus software; protecting online information, including data collection issues with Facebook, Google, etc.; security issues with mobile and portable devices; and more.
– A NEW section on cloud computing offers readers an overview of the latest way in which businesses and users interact with computers and mobile devices.
– The section on social networks has been rewritten to include up-to-date information, including new data on Google+ and Facebook.
– The sections covering HTML have been updated to include HTML5.
– Revised and updated Did You Know callouts are included in the chapter margins.
– The updated Ethical Issues at the end of each chapter have been revised to tie the content to the tenth strand recommended by the ACM, which stresses the importance of computer ethics.
Accompanied by a comprehensive suite of instructor resources including answers to the end of chapter exercises, answers to the optional lab exercises, PowerPoint Lecture Outlines, Image Bank, and a complete Test Bank.
Every new copy is packaged with full student access code to the robust Companion Website featuring:
- Unused access code!
- ZERO marks in or on book.